When you’re trying to chat with your guests or watch your favourite TV series while cooking, the noise from your range hood is rarely welcome. While there ’ s no such thing as a perfectly silent range hood, some are quieter than others. Here are some of the options available to you.
1. Compare the S ound L evels of D ifferent R ange H ood M odels. The noise level of a range hood is measured in sones. One sone is approximately equivalent to the noise of a refrigerator compressor, or 40 decibels. Most range hoods reach between seven and nine sones, while quiet models achieve four or five. A more powerful range hood will naturally be noisier. So if you’re comparing different models, make sure you choose units with equivalent power, as measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). It ’ s also essential to select a range hood that’s powerful enough to meet your needs . Otherwise, what ’ s the point of enjoying the silence if smells and smoke inconvenience you ?
2. Choose a High – End Range Hood. Even though they’re not that powerful, many budget range hoods can be quite noisy when operating at full intensity. Conversely, more sophisticated models incorporate higher quality components and more robust materials and must meet more strict manufacturing standards, resulting in an excellent noise – to – power ratio. For example, Aroua range hoods use EBM – Papst motors, the same motors found in many luxury appliances by renowned German brands.
3. Install a Cabinet Insert Hood. A cabinet insert hood is hidden inside a kitchen cabinet or decorative cover . The noise it emits is thus partially muffled by the surrounding materials, making it slightly quieter than a model with an exposed chimney
4. Choose a Range Hood with Variable speed. You don ’ t always have to run your range hood at full power. If you ’re cooking basic food while chatting with your guests, use a lower speed. Unlike mainstream models , whose options are limited to ” useless breeze ” and ” all – out hurricane ,” this is where Aroua range hood s featuring four speeds become interesting. Additional speed options al low you to achieve a more precise balance between noise and power.
6. Install a Larger V entilation Duct. The airflow meets less resistance inside a ventilation duct with a larger diameter, This allows your range hood to expel a greater air volume efficiently , reducing the power required and the resulting noise.